The master smith (originally from Dresden) designed and developed a steam-powered car, which he finished in 1895, five years earlier than Emil Hermann Nacke did and 9 years earlier than August Horch finished his car.
Like Nacke, the name of Schöche has been forgotten, too. Therefore, the Dresden Transport Museum memorializes the two Saxon car pioneers, honouring their outstanding achievements.
Schöche was born in Dresden in 1856. In 1880, he took over his father’s blacksmithing shop. He was especially interested in velocipedes. Therefore, he switched his business and started building bicycles of various sizes at his "velocipede manufactory" as early as in 1885.
In 1895, he finished a steam-powered car of his own devising. He was riding his car in the immediate vicinity until 1910. The steam-powered car was honoured one last time at the Berlin Automobile Exhibition of 1963 on the occasion of the 50th anniversary of automobile manufacture. There the car was presented at a special show, along with vehicles of motor car pioneers such as Daimler, Benz or Horch.
After that, Schöche handed his car over to the Deutsches Museum in Munich, where it was left at the depot for 75 years. On the occasion of the 125th anniversary year of the automobile, the Dresden Transport Museum brought this rare car back to its “birthplace” as a loan.
- Drive source: Two-cylinder compound steam engine under the seat; two steam boilers in the car bow; performance: 4 HP
- Fuel: petroleum with a specially developed petroleum carburettor
- Power transmission: rear wheel chain drive
- Radius of action: approx. “half day”
- Heating time: (only) 8 minutes, operating pressure: 18 at
- Tyres: wood inserts in iron tyres, exchangeable spokes
- Velocity: “… that compares with the velocity of trams …“